Made in Austria.
Designed, manufactured, hand-assembled and hand-calibrated to the highest quality specifications in Vienna, Austria.
Each and every single product deserves and gets the same love and treatment, from the very first sketch on paper to the final bow on the packaged box.
It’s our privilege and duty to be able devote time to the finer details until the lines blur and the experience is seamless.
Who are birdkids?
We are Engineers, Designers, Architects, Illustrators, Sculptors, Developers, Composers, DJs, VJs, Performers and perpetually curious kids who are deeply in love with the Arts & Technology.
We are birdkids.
We are an Austrian tech startup company, based in Vienna, which designs and develops electronic Musical Instruments and Human User Interfaces.
We believe that capturing the creative spark in the right moment, should be an immediate, accessible and intuitive experience.
We create the tools for those moments.
We see ourselves, ultimately, as enabling those who go the extra mile for something remarkable – aspiring to witness a miracle, those who dare to dream and in turn inspire us to make that dream a reality.
birdkids was established in 2012 as an individual enterprise by Producer and Creative Director, Michael Beim in Vienna, Austria.
The company initially launched as a record label with a startup boost funding by Viennese Cultural Fonds “Departure” recognizing the pioneering spirit of the underlying concept.
In 2015, following a long period of research in the field of hardware-based sound synthesis and analog audio circuitry, we’ve developed a boutique quality, modular synthesizer product line, titled: TheBateleur In 2016 we were quickly spotted and signed-up by the internationally renowned Berlin based distribution: ALEX4 distribution GmbH.
The signature module: Voltage Controlled Oscillator went on to become our most popular product to date. By now the product is in its 2nd generation and enjoying international acclaim due to its incredible sound and aesthetics., It is currently in use by renowned musicians such as Martin Gore of Depeche Mode, Shigeto of Brainfeeder and Grammy Award Winner John Lunn of BBC’s Downtown Abbey among many others.
In 2017 TheBateleur product line already consisted of six products and was consolidated into a mobile, state-of-the-art, USB-powered, limited edition Modular System.
The Austrian government’s, research promotion Agency FFG recognized birdkids’ efforts in the years 2015 and 2016 as proper scientific research.
- 10/12 – Company launch by Producer/Creative Director, Michael Beim.
- 12/12 – Pioneer funding by departure, Vienna.
- 01/13 – First birdkids records label releases.
- 02/13 – Distribution Network via ORDIS/N.E.W.S./Hoanzl.
- 10/14 – First physical prototype – birdkids birdnest MIDI/CV converter.
- 11/14 – Research Voltage Controlled Oscillator.
- 09/15 – Production & shipping TheBateleur VCO MKI.
- 01/16 – Development TheBateleur 42hp System & birdnest.
- 11/16 – Production & shipping TheBateleur 42hp System.
- 03/17 – Research CROW / birdnest.
- 08/17 – Research Polyphonic and wide-range VCO.
- 02/18 – Resarch and development RAVEN.
- 04/18 – CROW / birdnest presentation
- 11/18 – RAVEN Kickstarter.